Online presentations will be held to help those with dementia live safely in the community.
In recognition of World Alzheimer’s Day on Sept. 21, the Alzheimer Society of Durham Region (ASDR), in partnership with the Alzheimer Society of Ontario’s Finding Your Way program and Impact Ajax, is offering a full day of online presentations to help residents with dementia.
The Living Safely with Dementia Online Forum is being offered at no charge and is relevant to anyone interested in expanding their knowledge about living safely with dementia in the community. Pre-registration is required at asdr.eventbrite.ca, or by phone 905-576-2567, toll-free 1-888-301-1106 ext. 5228.
Residents are invited to any or all of the following sessions:
– 10 to 10:30 a.m. Welcome, Living Safely Toolkit, Perspective of a person living with dementia
– 10:30 to 11 a.m. WindReach Farm Tour (live virtual visit)
– 11:30 a.m. to 1 p.m. Dementia and Going Missing: Reduce the Risk of Getting Lost, featuring Dr. Noelannah Neubauer, followed by MedicAlert Safely Home and Durham Regional Police Services representatives
– 2 to 3 p.m. Arts-based activity
– 3 to 4:30 p.m. Vivre avec un trouble neurocognitif en toute sécurité (French language panel presentation)
– 6:30 to 8 p.m. Keynote with Ron Beleno, a dementia advocate, presents
Making Choices to Live Better in the Community
“As experts in dementia care and a leader in dementia training, it’s essential that we continue to work together to reduce the stigma of Alzheimer’s disease and other dementias and make our communities safe and inclusive for people living with dementia,” says Denyse Newton, CEO, Alzheimer Society of Durham Region. “Individuals living with dementia can, and are, making great contributions to our communities. It is possible to live well with dementia with the right support and an educated community.”
The Living Safely with Dementia Online Forum will take place on Monday, Sept. 21, from 10 a.m. to 8 p.m. There is no charge to participate and residents can choose from any or all of the presentations offered. Pre-registration is required at asdr.eventbrite.ca, or by phone 905-576-2567 | toll-free 1-888-301-1106 ext. 5228.