A 43-year-old HVAC contractor is facing fraud charges after allegedly charging two separate victims for work that was never completed.
In June of this year, the suspect, who runs Complete Comfort Heating and Air Conditioning, received money from a potential customer and, after receiving payment for services, never returned to do the work.
In July, a second victim came forward to police after they paid the contractor to install a new air conditioning unit and the man never showed up after receiving payment.
A 43-year-old Ajax man is charged with two counts of fraud under $5,000. He was released on a promise to appear.
Investigators want to ensure there are no further victims. Anyone who may have been defrauded by this company or individual is asked to come forward if they have not reported it to the police.
Durham police say these steps can protect residents from contractor frauds:
– don’t pay the full amount until the work is completed
– make sure to get an invoice, receipt or quote for the work to be done
– always get a second or third quote
– do some research online on the quality of service provided by the contractor or company
– make sure the contractor has the proper credentials or license for the job
Anyone with new information about this investigation is asked to contact D/Cst. Woolley (ext. 2723) of the Central East Division Criminal Investigation Bureau at 1-888-579-1520.