By Dave Flaherty/The Oshawa Express
Senior levels of government will kick in $1.6 million for the replacement of three water mains in Oshawa.
Approved under the Clean Water and Wastewater Fund (CWWF), a partnership between the federal and provincial governments, Durham Region will receive $1.1 million from the feds and $556,000 from Ontario for the projects. The municipality will match the province’s contribution.
The largest project of the three is for new water mains on Madawaska Avenue, Sauble Street, and Quetico Avenue, located southeast of the intersection of Phillip Murray Avenue and Valley Drive, at a cost of $1.3 million.
Others involve replacements on Laval Street from Hillside Avenue to Laval Court at a cost of $554,640 and on Thornton Road near Champlain Avenue with a price tag of $370,000.
In all, the federal and provincial governments have pledged $829 million to water and wastewater projects across Ontario through the CWWF.
“The Region of Durham welcomes this funding through the CWWF. It allows the region to advance replacement of three essential drinking water distribution projects in Oshawa,” Gerri Lynn O’ Connor, regional chair and CEO said. “Investing in our water infrastructure will help build the local economy and protect the health and safety of our communities.”
John Presta, director of environmental services for Durham Region, says the funding provides relief from financial pressures on the region.
Without federal and provincial dollars, costs would be strictly reliant on water and wastewater ratepayers.
Work has already begun on the water main replacements.
Originally, CWWF projects had strict deadlines of March 31, 2018, and March 31, 2019, which caused some headaches for the region.
However, earlier this year, after appeals from Durham and other municipalities, those deadlines were eased.
According to Presta, projects must now be finished by March 31, 2020, and he is confident work will be completed well before that date.