By Bill Fox/Columnist
Sometimes I’m surprised at the extent of the influence of The Oshawa Express, and more personally about my columns.
For example, last year I was honoured to be asked to speak to the retirees of Durham College. Also, just recently, someone in Australia read one of my columns about local Prophets of Hope group, and reached our about their group “The Centre for Optimism.”
Recently I was at a local fish and chip store waiting for my order, when two lovely ladies recognized me and invited me to sit with them while I awaited my order. They are faithful readers of The Express and follow my column, dare I say, “religiously.” I wish I could remember their names, but I do recall they are both retired and are working as crossing guards.
This week, I reproduce one of my first columns from 10 years ago sharing some “though provokers,” and say thank you to these ladies.
- “Everything that can be invented has been invented.” – Commissioner of the U.S. Patent Office, Charles Duell in 1899.
- Some things have to be believed to be seen.
- The Toronto Maple Leafs are not losers, just slow winners, maybe this year?
- If you want your dreams to come true, you can’t oversleep.
- I do not regret getting old. It is a privilege many are denied.
- If God seems far away, who moved?
- The best vitamin for making friends? B1.
- I only put things off on days beginning with a T – Tuesdays, Thursdays, today and tomorrow.
- Minds are like parachutes; they won’t work unless they are open.
- It isn’t the load that weighs us down, it is the way we carry it.
- Of all the things you wear, your expression is the most important.
- 12 The six T’s – Take time to think things through.
- To be loved, we first must love.
- When your head begins to swell, your mind stops growing.
- Terry Fox’s achievements began with one step at a time.
- Anger is but one letter away from danger.
- Fear is the darkroom where negatives develop.
- I looked at the night sky and had a “faith lift.”
- A sharp tongue can cut your own throat.
- Happiness is an inside job.
- Serenity is not freedom from the storm, but peace within the storm.
- Humility is not thinking less of yourself, it’s thinking of yourself less.
- Yesterday’s history, tomorrow’s a mystery.
- Today is a gift, that’s why it is called the present.
- T.E.A.M. = Together Everyone Achieves More.
- Desserts spelled backwards is stressed.
- If you find a path with no obstacles, it probably doesn’t lead anywhere.
- If you lack the courage to start, you have already finished.
- There are three kinds of people: those who make things happen, those who watch things happen, and those who say, “What happened?”
- Those who do not read, are no better off than those who cannot read.