Latest News

Gens winning streak comes to dramatic end

The Generals took on the Saginaw Spirit riding an eight-game win streak, but were unable to maintain their torrid place as Saginaw took home the win. (Photo by Chris Jones)

By Chris Jones/The Oshawa Express

The Oshawa Generals fought hard, but in the end, couldn’t extend their winning streak to nine games.

Hoping to maintain their hot play, the Gens were at home Sunday taking on the Saginaw Spirit.

The Gens didn’t come out of the gate strong, as they quickly allowed a goal in the first to Damien Giroux.

They then allowed another Saginaw goal to Camaryn Baber, putting the Gens down 2-0 as the home team was kept off the scoreboard in the first.

The second period started out stronger for the Gens as it took them only a few minutes to find the back of the net when Cole Resnick found the top corner to bring Oshawa to within one.

However, the Spirit remained dominant as Bode Wilde and Reilly Webb both found the back of the net for Saginaw.

The second period ended with Oshawa down 4-1.

Going into the third, the Gens knew they had work to do as they outshot their opponents 19-12 in the period.

After reaching the halfway point of the period, Anthony Salinitri took advantage of the powerplay and wristed a shot past Saginaw goalie Ivan Prosvetov.

The Gens weren’t done yet, as in the dying seconds of the third Danil Antropov was able to take advantage of the extra attacker and brought Oshawa to within one.

Still with an empty net and the extra attacker, and only 10 seconds left in the game, Allan McShane broke through to tie the game and force overtime.

However, overtime would not be successful for Oshawa, as less than 30 seconds in Cole Perfetti beat Kyle Keyser to hand the Generals the 5-4 loss and end their winning streak at eight games.

McShane was named the first star of the game after getting a goal and an assist, and Nicholas Mattinen was the second star after he got two assists.

Both teams took plenty of shots as the Generals outshot Saginaw 44-41.

In earlier action the Generals were at home taking on the Mississauga Steelheads.

After most of the play was in the Gens, end during the first half of the first period, Serron Noel eluded Mississauga’s defenders before sliding the puck past Jacob Ingham to take the early lead.

Mississauga was quick to respond as Cole Carter tied it up.

However, Noel would once again score when he buried a loose rebound to give Oshawa the lead.

Mississauga would respond quickly, as Richard Whitaker put one past Keyser with only three seconds left in the period, making it a 2-2 tie at the end of the period.

About halfway through the second period, Nando Eggenberger chipped a shot from Ty Tullio past Ingham to once again give the Generals the lead.

Mississauga would respond again however as Nicholas Canade would tie the game, making it 3-3 heading into the third period.

Heading into the third period the Gens put the pressure on early, as only a few minutes in they were able to take the lead once again as Matthieu Franche finished off the point shot from Mattinen.

This time they held on as Mattinen added an empty netter to make the final score 5-3 in favour of the Gens.

Noel was named the first star of the game after scoring two goals, with Salinitri being named the second star of the game with two assists, and McShane was the third star of the game after getting two assists as well.

Gens won by capitalizing on quality chances, as they were outshot 36-29.

Oshawa will be on the road this weekend, as they take on the Sault Ste. Marie Greyhounds on Friday, March 1, and the Sudbury Wolves on Saturday night.