Latest News

Gens snap losing skid

By Chris Jones/The Oshawa Express

The Oshawa Generals’ five game losing streak has come to an end with a victory against the Guelph Storm on Sunday night.

Guelph stormed out of the gate and scored the first and only goal of the first period, putting the Gens behind early.

But the Gens fought back in the second when Allan McShane found himself reaching for a rebound off the pads of goaltender Owen Bennett. Looking over his shoulder while sitting on the ice, McShane found he had ended the shutout bid.

Serron Noel then found himself alone against Bennett in front of the net. With a pass from Tye McSorley along the boards, Noel took his time before wristing one into the net, giving Oshawa the lead.

The advantage was short-lived, however, as just over two minutes later Guelph added one more to tie the game.

But Oshawa wasn’t just going to take that lying down, as Brett Harrison fired a cross-ice pass from captain Kyle MacLean past Bennett to give the Gens a 3-2 lead heading into the final frame.

With the lead in hand, the Gens were staunch in staving off any chance of a comeback.

Finding himself taking another long pass from the boards once again, Noel fired one past Bennett for his second of the game.

Less than 20 seconds later, McShane was weaving his way through a group of defenders, when he took a shot which rebounded to Harrison, who sent another rebound flying to the stick of Ty Tullio, who finally found a hole to give the Gens a 5-2 victory, ending the losing streak.

Despite not scoring in four powerplay opportunities, and allowing two on eight penalty kill attempts, Oshawa outshot Guelph 32-27.

All three stars of the game went to Oshawa, with Noel, Harrison, and Tullio from top to bottom.

In earlier action, the Generals were taking on the hated rival Peterborough Petes at home.

The Petes quickly took advantage and the lead, but the Gens roared back.

In a high-octane first period, Brett Neumann was at the receiving end of a game of tic-tac-toe after taking a cross-ice pass from MacLean, tying the game as he put one past Hunter Jones.

The Petes added another only 30 seconds later though, breaking the tie.

But with the clock winding down in the first period, Noel tipped a pass from Tullio to once again tie up the game.

However, the Petes added one more in the second period, and while the Gens did outshoot their opponent 25-19 in the final two periods, their effort was for naught as they took the 3-2 loss.

Neumann and Tullio were named the second and third stars of the game respectively, and the Gens outshot the Petes 36-30 while going one-for-eight on the powerplay.

The Gens hit the ice again on Thursday, Dec. 19 in Peterborough, before returning home the next night at 7:35 p.m. to take on the Ottawa 67’s.