Latest News

First round a nail biter

Oshawa Generals

Oshawa’s Brent Pedersen battles for the puck against Quebec Remparts’ Jerome Verrier on May 24.

Things got slightly interesting for the Oshawa Generals on Monday, May 25.

Winning both of their games over the weekend, the first on Saturday, May 23, 4-3 over the Rimouski Oceanic, and 5-4 in overtime over the host Quebec Remparts on Sunday, May 24, the Gens were vying for a berth into Sunday’s Memorial Cup final.

For that to happen, the Oceanic would need to beat the Kelowna Rockets.

However, the Rockets, off a loss in the cup opener to the Remparts, were looking to redeem themselves.

And redeem they did.

The Rockets stomped the Oceanic 7-3 and put a wall up between the Oshawa Generals and the final.

The Generals played the Rockets on Tuesday, May 26, however the results of that game were unavailable as of The Oshawa Express deadline.

If the Gens win over the Rockets, they will have gone three for three and the round robin and will move on to the final.

If they fall to the Rockets, it could force a tie-breaker and could see the Generals play a couple more games to reach that end game.

The road so far

Facing the Oceanic in the opener, the Generals, despite dropping a pair of leads in the game, came out on top 4-3.

It was all Generals for the first half of the period as Tobias Lindberg and Michael Dal Colle were both able to find the back of the net.

However, with the two-goal lead, the Generals seemed to sit back, which allowed the Oceanic to take advantage and pot a pair of goals in under 30 seconds to bring the game even at 2-2.

“Getting the first two goals, it got the jitters out pretty early, but then obviously they came back and responded with two,” said Dal Colle following the game. “I think when we put up two we got a little complacent, we didn’t really push back as much as we did early on in the game,” he added

Without a day’s rest, the Generals found themselves facing a roaring home crowd and the Quebec Remparts.

Things got started early for the Generals as Michael McCarron tipped a high shot from Mitchell Vande Sompel past Zach Fucale under three minutes into the game.

However, in a similar scene to the Gens’ first game against the Rimouski Oceanic, the lead didn’t last long as the Remparts, off a rush from Anthony Duclair, potted a goal of their own.

The Generals star offense was not deterred and the pairing of Dal Colle and McCarron, a dominant duo throughout the game, put Oshawa up on a two-on-one to take the lead into the first intermission

In the third, Oshawa found themselves in a trailing position for the first time in the tournament after a pair of unanswered goals from the Remparts.

A powerplay goal from Lindberg late in the third would send the game to OT.

It took most of an extra period to decide the game, but Stephen Desrocher would be the hero for the Generals, popping off the sideboards in the Remparts end and firing a slapshot past goalie Fucale .

Following the game, Desrocher said the goal was the biggest of his hockey career, but credited his teammates for the Generals’ win.

“All the boys played a great game and I guess I was the lucky guy to get the final one,” Desrocher said. “We’ve got two more games to go so we’ve got to pull off two more wins.”