By Dave Flaherty/The Oshawa Express
Former administrative space and elementary schools in Oshawa are among properties the Durham school board is looking to part ways with.
The Durham District School Board recently identified eight pieces of property surplus to its needs.
Included in the list are the former administrative building at 555 Rossland Road, the former Athabasca Public School at 65 Athabasca Street, former Gertrude Colpus Public School at 570 Shakespeare Street, and the former Glenholme building at 1356 Simcoe Street South.
The old administrative office was located at 555 Rossland Road until the new Education Centre in Whitby was constructed.
The site is three acres and vacant as the building has been demolished.
Athabasca Public School closed in June 2014 and was consolidated with Grandview Public School in preparation for the construction of Forest View Public School.
The site is approximately six acres and the building is still standing.
The former Gertrude Colpus Public School is located at the intersection of Shakespeare Avenue and Wilson Road, just north of Highway 401.
The school closed in June 2012, and students were moved to the new school David Bouchard Public School just to the south. The land is 5.65 acres and the former building is still located there.
The Glenholme building was originally built in 1959 and was home to DDSB’s Grove program until June 2018 when it was moved to the Durham Alternative Secondary School on Simcoe Street South.
Once properties are declared surplus, school boards must first offer the land to other boards, local colleges and universities, children and youth mental health agencies, boards of health, LHINs and provincial agencies, among others, within the first 180 days.
If no interest is shown from these organizations, the property can be offered on the market for fair value.
In a staff report, it is noted fair market value for land has historically been valued as cash, but it is possible for the board to be offered land in exchange as well.